Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Addis Ababa!!!! We arrived!!!

It was so wonderful to arrive in Addis.  We were not only on time, but actually early.  It was very easy and quick to get a VISA. Then we walked through the gate to ground transport.  There were many people at he airport...We waiting for at least a half hour , rather conspicuously, I might add.  Not only my gold colored hair, but I was also wearing my colorful palooza pants!!!  Brian, of course, fit right in.  

I had crammed for Amharic courtesies about half hour before landing, but my brain was drained for lack of sleep, and I was struggling remembering the most important phrase in any language "Thank you".  Ah ma se ga NAH lo (Latin pronunciation with the capitalized syllable being the emphasized one).

Several times I began well with the first 3 syllables and then Brian or the recipient of my gratitude had to come to my rescue with the finish!!!

Finally our driver found us and walked us to our van.  I made my first social faux pa while loading the luggage.  A man just happened to be standing right near our van and started helping our driver load the luggage. (I had read the guide book on the importance of tipping!).  I dug in my purse and found a quarter (I'm not known for carrying cash).  I successfully completed the thank you phrase and gave him the quarter.  He looked at me in disbelief and starting complaining to the driver.  He kept holding it up and looking at it and then finally just threw it in the van.  I was still smiling and saying my phrase until Brian gave me a meaningful look and told me to drop it.  That I had insulted him.  Oops,  I did mean well. I decided to let Brian handle the tipping and money transactions.  He is very good at that type of thing.  He already has the conversion rate down and I can quote him a price in birr (pronounced beer) and like a calculator he tells me the cost in dollars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment